Lemony White Bean & Arugula Salad
serves 4 (cookinglight.com)
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. grated lemon rind plus 2 Tbsp. fresh juice
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3/8 tsp. Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 (15 oz.) can cannellini beans, rinsed & drained
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 cups packed arugula
1. Combine oil, rind, juice, mustard, salt, and pepper in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. In a separate bowl, toss desired amount of dressing with beans and onion; toss well to coat. Add arugula, toss gently to combine. Season to taste and add dressing if desired.
Marinated Greek Cucumber Salad
serves 6 (msmarket.com)
- 1 lb. cucumbers, washed and sliced into thin rounds
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 1 tomato, cut into wedges or any preferred size and tomato type
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh dill, minced
- 4 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 ½ Tbsp. honey
- 1 ½ Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt & pepper to taste
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, dill, lemon juice, honey and olive oil.
2. In a large mixing bowl, gently toss the sliced cucumbers, tomato, and red onion with the dressing.
3. Season the salad with salt and pepper, and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or more.
4. Sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese when ready to serve.
Sweet & Spicy Fruit Salad
8-12 servings (nytimes.com)
Shared by Spring Hill member Karen Shilling. This recipe by Melissa Clark and has many, many 5 star reviews. With the melon in this week’s bag, and ripe berries and stone fruit, this will make a beautiful fruit salad.
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 serrano chili, halved or 1 whole jalapeño cut into desired sections
- 1 whole dried star anise (found in the bulk section of the coop)
- 7-8 cups mixed cut fruit; such as melon, kiwi, peaches, plums, any berry, mango, pineapple, oranges, grapefruit, pear, or bananas
- 2 tsp. chopped tarragon
- 2 tsp. chopped basil
- Flaky sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Mascarpone or crumbled ricotta salata, for garnish (optional) or sour cream, crème fraiche, parmesan, feta, goat cheese, or no cheese
1. Place sugar, ¾ cup water, chili and star anise in a small pot and bring to a bow. Simmer for 10 – 15 minutes until the mixture is as thick as maple syrup and spicy tasting. Strain syrup. (Syrup can be made up to 1 week in advance. Store in the refrigerator.)
2. Toss the fruit with half of the sugar syrup, the tarragon and the basil. Add more syrup to taste, depending on how sweet and spicy you want the salad. Season
Pickling Veggies! These recipes are easy, fast ideas for pickling all the cucumbers and carrots that may be piling up in your fridge. The carrot recipe also takes advantage of the fresh jalapeños in this week’s bag. https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-pickled-carrots-247432 https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-refrigerator-pickles-83971
More Recipes Featuring Vegetables We Grow…
Arugula | Basil | Beets | Bok Choy | Braising Mix |Broccoli | Broccoli Raab | Brussels Sprouts | Cabbage | Carrots | Cauliflower | Celeriac | Chard | Cilantro | Collards | Cucumbers | Eggplant | Fennel | Garlic | Green Beans | Jalapenos | Kale | Kohlrabi | Leeks | Lettuce | Onions | Parsley | Parsnips | Pea Vines | Peppers | Potatoes| Pumpkins | Radishes | Rhubarb | Rutabagas | Scallions | Spinach | Sugar Snap Peas | Sweet Potatoes | Tomatillos | Tomatoes | Turnips | Winter Squash | Zucchini |