Brown Rice Tabouli
3 cups cooked and cooled brown rice
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp garlic, minced
¼ cup olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
2-3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced
1 cup parsley, finely chopped
½ cup scallions (including greens), chopped
8 oz feta, crumbled
Combine rice, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix thoroughly, cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours, if possible. Just before serving, mix in tomatoes, parsley, cucumbers, scallion and feta.
• 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1 large cucumber cut into 1/4″ pieces
• 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved (or cut large tomatoes/romas to size)
• 2/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
• 2 scallions, thinly sliced (or minced onion from the bag)
• Bring quinoa, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat.
• Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
• Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
• Spread out quinoa on a large rimmed baking sheet; let cool. Transfer to a large bowl; mix in 1/4 cup dressing. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover remaining dressing and quinoa separately; chill.
• Add cucumber, tomatoes, herbs, and scallions to bowl with quinoa; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle remaining dressing over.
2-1/2 lbs tomatoes, seeded and chopped – skinned if you’re ambitious
6 Tablespoons olive oil
½ Tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
Salt and freshly ground pepper
½ teaspoons sugar
Put all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Allow to stand at room temperature for at least two hours, then season and toss with hot pasta.