Brown Rice Tabouli
3 cups cooked and cooled brown rice
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp garlic, minced
¼ cup olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
2-3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced
1 cup parsley, finely chopped
½ cup scallions (including greens), chopped
8 oz feta, crumbled
Combine rice, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Mix thoroughly, cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours, if possible. Just before serving, mix in tomatoes, parsley, cucumbers, scallion and feta.
Quinoa and Grilled Sourdough Salad
from “Plenty” by Yotam Ottolenghi 1/4 cup quinoa
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- 1/3 cup olive oil + extra for bread
- 4 ripe medium tomatoes
- 3 small cucumbers, unpeeled
- 1/2 small red onion
- 4 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped mint
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the quinoa in a pot of boiling water and cook until tender, between 9 and 11 minutes. Drain in a fine sieve, rinse under cold water and leave to dry.
Brush the bread with oil and sprinkle with salt. Place on a baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes on each side, or until completely dry and crisp. Let cool and break into bitesize pieces.
Dice the tomatoes and cucumber. Finely slice the onion. Place in a mixing bowl and combine with all other ingredients, including quinoa and bread. Taste and adjust seasoning.
• 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 1 large cucumber cut into 1/4″ pieces
• 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved (or cut large tomatoes/romas to size)
• 2/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
• 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
• 2 scallions, thinly sliced (or minced onion from the bag)
• Bring quinoa, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat.
• Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
• Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in olive oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
• Spread out quinoa on a large rimmed baking sheet; let cool. Transfer to a large bowl; mix in 1/4 cup dressing. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover remaining dressing and quinoa separately; chill.
• Add cucumber, tomatoes, herbs, and scallions to bowl with quinoa; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drizzle remaining dressing over.
2-1/2 lbs tomatoes, seeded and chopped – skinned if you’re ambitious
6 Tablespoons olive oil
½ Tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
Salt and freshly ground pepper
½ teaspoons sugar
Put all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Allow to stand at room temperature for at least two hours, then season and toss with hot pasta.